This past week, Matt and I have gotten sucked into a show on Netflix called "Out of the Wild". There are two different seasons - one in Alaska, one in Venezuela - and we flew through both of them.
The show is essentially about a group of 9 people (different sets for each season) who are dropped in the middle of nowhere with only the tools that they will need for survival. They have no idea how long it will take to reach civilization. They will need to build their own shelters and forage for their own food. There is no prize money at the end, only a giant sense of accomplishment. At any point of the experience, a team member may hit an emergency GPS button that they carry and be rescued via helicopter.
Sounds like a load of fun, right?
Survivalistic shows usually aren't my cup of tea or what floats my boat, so I was surprised that I was so quickly hooked on this show.
I think that what ultimately sucked me in was the psychology of the show. It was fascinating to me to see how people dealt with the challenges thrown their way. Some people met them head on; no matter how little they had to eat or how long it rained, they focused on the positive and kept their eyes on the ultimate goal of reaching civilization. They knew this experience wouldn't last forever and they were determined to deal well with it. They stayed busy with the task at hand. But there were others who would relent at the smallest obstacle; these were the ones who sat around while others fished and worked on the shelters. These were the whiners. These were the GPS pushers.
The battles were waged in the mind, by the way each person viewed their circumstances.
Things got more interesting as the groups moved forward. Foraging for food was not always successful, which meant that they were often starving; the team members who lasted until the end lost a lot of weight. They faced days upon days of rain or cold and snow.
It was intriguing what excuses people gave for pushing their GPS buttons. Some were injured; some were scared for their health; some thought that they had gotten everything out of the experience that they could. One woman, after lasting 28 days, gave up and pushed her button, not knowing that her teammates would reach civilization the very next day.
Bummer.
I received a phone call this week from an old friend asking for prayer. She was sad and frustrated, dealing once more with an issue that has plagued her for awhile now.
When I returned her call, the only thing I felt important to tell her was to just not give up. Keep fighting the battle and know that God is her strength when she is weak. "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." Exodus 14:14
I gave her this verse to encourage her:"God is strong and he wants you strong." Ephesians 6:10 (MSG).
Although I have not gone through the exact same battle as my friend, I know what it is like to face the same obstacle over and over again. I know what it is to get weary in the midst of the fight.
And it is because of that that I empathize with her. I know how tough it is and that sometimes it is impossible to imagine moving forward.
But the only alternative to fighting the battle is to give up. Throw in the towel. Hit the metaphorical GPS button and be helipcoptered away.
At times when the GPS button seems tempting, it is helpful to keep in mind that the only thing required of us is the next step.
The only thing required of us is to not give up.
The people on the show who made it all the way to the end understood that while they had no idea how long the trying journey would be nor how difficult, all that was required of them was the next step. Then the next step. Then the next.
1 Timothy 6:12 (AMP): "Fight the good fight of the faith;"
There was no prize money sitting in a pot at the end of this journey's rainbow. Each person who lasted did so because they always made the decision to keep on fighting.
One guy said at the end, "Quitting wasn't ever an option for me."
I understand the reasons for wanting to press the GPS button. Giving up can seem desirable for a multitude of reasons.
But at the end, I want to be the fighter who does not gives up.
1 Timothy 4:7-8 (MSG): "This is the only race worth running. I've run hard right to the finish, believed all the way. All that's left now is the shouting-God's applause! Depend on it, he's an honest judge. He'll do right not only by me, but by everyone eager for his coming."
No comments:
Post a Comment