A few days ago, I was cleaning, Jonas was sleeping, and Finn was playing. It was exciting times at the Fjerkenstad household!
Like many people, we keep our cleaning supplies underneath our kitchen sink. When I moved to clean the bathroom, I left the door to said cabinet open. Normally it is child lock protected and dutifully shut every time. I guess I got a little lazy.
Finn's curiosity got the better of him and he started digging through a treasure trove of cleaning bottles and Target bags.
Suddenly, I heard him proclaim, "Mommy! There's toys in here!"
I peeked my head around from the bathroom and said, "There aren't any toys in there, Finn."
"Yes there are!!!" he urged me.
Then it dawned on me: we used to keep chew toys for our dog underneath the sink…Eureka!
I said to my funny boy, "Finn, if there are toys down there, believe me - you don't want them."
"I do…" he insisted.
As this conversation continued, I thought of the oodles of toys that Finn already had in his possession. Already, our living room was overflowing with superheroes, Little People, and Legos.
Yet Finn was searching for more. Even worse, there was inflection in his words that suggested that we were holding out on him.
"Sweet boy," I said again, "Trust me you don't want anything under there." With that, I closed the cabinet and somewhere in the back of my mind, I made a mental note to clean and purge under our sink.
However, as I continued my cleaning spree, it dawned on me that sometimes we treat God our Father that same way.
We ignore the bounty before us and are in a continuous search for more…..More…..MORE!!!!!
There is a continuous aching in us that is forever longing for something more.
C.S. Lewis once said, "If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world."
Until we are in our forever home of heaven, we will always be aching for something.
And because of that aching, we often point the finger at God and question His authority and His goodness to us.
We believe that He is holding out on us. If He were truly our provider and our sustainer, then surely we wouldn't feel this constant longing.
All the while, He is showing us all of the amazing gifts we have already received.
Love. Breath. Sunsets. Nature. Beauty. Laughter. Emotion. Intellect. Spiritual gifts. Love…again (it's so important I had to put it twice!)
Romans 8:31-32 says, "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"
Look around and be encouraged.
God is not holding out on us. He has given us everything.
In other words, there is no need to dig around for a glimpse of dog toys when you have superheroes and Little People in front of you.
Trust Him - He knows what you need and He will never withhold any good thing from you.
"For the Lord God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right." Psalm 84:11
No comments:
Post a Comment