yellow door

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Next Chapter

I was vacuuming the other day and as I pushed back and forth, Finn ran maniacally from room to room. He was certain that no matter where he ran, the vacuum was coming for him.

It was pretty stinkin' cute.

However, the longer I vacuumed, the closer he would allow it to get to him. His fear of it slowly ebbed away as he realized that it was not, in fact, eating him.

By the time I was finishing up, Finn was coming close enough to play with the cord and even danced with it.

The closer he got to that which was making him afraid, the smaller his fear became. Had he continued to run from the vacuum, he never would have realized that the vacuum was no cause for fear.

In fact, vacuums are kind of fun! Which he did realize, once I shut it off and was rolling it in the closet: he hopped on and wanted a ride!

Funny boy :).

I have been reminding myself of that today, as the monstrosity of internship looms closer and I feel the beginning butterflies of fear.

Fear of the unknown, fear of not being with Finn all day 5 days a week, fear of failure.

But I move forward.......moving towards my fear. I know that if I should choose to run from it, I would never conquer it and it would in turn conquer me. If I ran from it, I would never realize that there is nothing to fear.

Rather, I move forward, despite the fear, believing there are beautiful things ahead.

"My son, when a child of mine makes a request, I always give that person what he or she would have asked for if they knew everything I know. Do you believe that? To the degree you believe that, you're going to have peace. And if you don't believe it, you don't have peace." Timothy Keller



No comments:

Post a Comment